Happy New Year!
Become a member of Friends of the Napa River and help us protect and celebrate the Napa River and its watershed in 2016! The start of the new year is a good time for reflection. Taking a moment to look back at a few highlights, in 2015 Friends of the Napa River:
- rolled out a bright new logo;
- hired Shari Gardner as Executive Director and Education Coordinator, and welcomed Rex Stults and Drew Dickson to our Board of Directors;
- after many years of advocating for a design that balanced both function for flood conveyance and an attractive space for the community, we celebrated the dedication of the new Oxbow Commons … will we see the flood gates on McKinstry close and the Napa River flowing through it this winter?
- collaborated with City of Napa for the dedication of the Jim Hench Memorial Kayak Launch in the Oxbow Commons;
- received a grant from the Napa County Wildlife Conservation Commission to create the Napa Youth Stewardship Council in partnership with the Napa County RCD;
- continued our advocacy for public access to the river including additional Bay Area Water Trail designations and San Francisco Bay Trail expansion;
- provided information about the Napa River and its watershed to more than 500 school children and to the public at multiple events;
- worked with the Napa County RCD to “re-oak” the Napa Valley through education and student and community acorn plantings.
There is so much to look forward to in 2016! Friends of the Napa River will continue to advocate for the completion of the flood project, lend our support for restoration projects along the creeks and river, expand classroom and community watershed education efforts, collaborate on clean-ups to prevent trash from entering the river, champion incorporation of Living River Principles in developments along the river, and bring the community together to celebrate our Napa River.
We need your support! Donations are vital to our ongoing success. Click here to join us. We can also use volunteer help. Contact Shari Gardner or follow us on Facebook to learn more.Thank you and Happy New Year!